Saturday, December 29, 2012

Doll Face ;D

These little ones have a bit more of a story behind them than the other things I have posted so far. If you saw the flower power post you will notice that the faces are very similar to those of the flower girls. I actually made the flower girls after I made all of these dolls. I haven't finished outfits for all of them but I have plenty of ideas. But back to the story! The one that really started it was the unclothed doll at the very bottom with the black bobbed haircut. Years before even thinking of making these girls I had been doodling in my notebooks for some time with this little cartoon character I had created. The character was inspired by my most favorite silent film actress: Louise Brooks. I loved her hair and her 20s flapper style, and wanted to recreate that in some way. I think that it was basically one day while taking notes in Calculus III that I came up with the little girl, doodling her by my equations. And the rest is just history! After creating the doll that looked just like my doodle of math classes past, I thought that the basic design (very simple but cute) could be easily made with other hairstyles, colors and clothes. That's where the redhead (one in the green dress), the blond, and even the blue haired one came into being. I love fashions of the 1960's and 1920's, so my dolls have been styled for both eras. The redhead doll for instance was given a 20s/30s short curled hairdo, but the dress just screams 60s. The tanned one is the most 20's out of all of them. She's supposed to be sort of a 1920's beach babe. Her swimsuit I made to look like a swimsuit that was sketched by Sonia Delaunay, and her hair I tried to make a little Josephine Baker-like. The outfit on the blond doll is also very 60s. It was during one of my internet browsing expeditions that I spotted a 60s dress with that combination of colors that I liked a lot. The dress is more or less the same as that one. And though not completely clothed the other redhead doll with the green eyeshadow has what I consider to be a very special garment on. The purple and pink shawl that she is wearing required a bit of creativity. I started by cutting a strip of white fabric and coloring it purple with my fabric markers. Then I got several purple and pink pipe cleaners and stripped them of their fuzzy. I patiently glued the fuzzy onto the strip of fabric, and while the glue was still wet draped it around her teeny shoulders. Once it dried it was perfectly molded into a shawl shell-like thing that can easily be put on her or taken off while maintaining its shape.

And that's about it! I've sketched lots of other ideas for dolls but haven't gotten around to creating them yet. Perhaps in future posts I'll show some of my doll doodles to give you an idea of where the whole creation process begins. I actually follow my sketches pretty closely as you will see. And as sort of a sidenote it is not a doll but I wanted to include a picture of it. You see the yellow and black polka dotted purse? That was just a small little project of mine that was quite easy. The purse was originally white with black polka dots. That was fine and all but I thought that it would look much more exciting if it were yellow. So.....(after reading my posts you can probably guess what I thought of doing) I whipped out the old fabric markers and colored it yellow! Fabulous!!!! :-D Anywho, hope you liked the dolls! 

No comments:

Post a Comment